LAMSIG: Engagement – a new model of management and leadership
Employee engagement has become the top issue on the minds of many leaders in ELT, pointing towards an entirely new model of management and leadership. But what does employee engagement even mean? What do these new models look like? How can they be known, shaped and implemented? And once implemented in the institution how do we measure engagement and set benchmarks. and perhaps even “kitemarks”, to follow, and promote our institution as an employer of first choice.
This PCE day for LAMSIG investigates these issues and provides a forum for discussion, understanding and action. It will allow managers and leaders to hear from sector experts who have experience of building institutions where passion is valued and staff are proactive about adding value in their work while aligning with the institution’s mission and goals.
Specific questions to address:
- How can we raise the level of personal investment staff bring to work every day?
- What are the qualities we want to develop in engaged staff? How can these qualities be promoted, rewarded and valued?
- What can LTO leaders do to create a positive environment where decision making and values setting are shared and values-based work contracts are the norm
- Is there a place for “happiness initiatives”, employee engagement surveys and score-systems to measure and monitor engagement and the individual voice over time
- Is there a place for HR and L&D in building an engaged staff force? How can they promote fairness, openness and integrity in their processes – recruitment, promotion, learning & development, appraisal and duty of care – that give rise to better engagement?
10:00 - 1045 Huan Japes from English UK
10:45 - 11:15 Discussion on Huan’s talk
11:15 - 11:30 Break
11:30 - 12:15 Marie Mohan from Common Purpose UK
12:15 - 12:45 Discussion on Marie’s talk
12:45 - 13:00 Break
13:00 - 13:45 Martyn Clarke from NILE-ELT
13:45 - 14:15 Discussion on Martyn’s talk
14:15 - 14:30 Break
14:30 - 15:30 Open space discussion on all talks and going forward
15:30 - 16:00 Closing - Gerhard Erasmus
IATEFL members need to login before registering for this event in order to receive the member discount.
Non members wishing to register for this event must hold a user account with us. If you don't already have a user account then create one by clicking 'Login' at the top left of the screen, then select “create new account”. This is free and is quick and easy to do.
Event type:SIG Event
Date:12/06/2021 - 10:00 until 12/06/2021 - 16:00 UK time
IATEFL members - 57GBP
Non members - 70GBP