ESPSIG PCE 2023: Current Trends in ESP
Join IATEFL English for Specific Purposes Special Interest Group (ESPSIG) for their 2023 Pre-Conference Event on 17 April 2023.
Changes and developments on a global scale over the last few years have revealed to each and every one of us involved in education in some way that the world in which we are living, studying, teaching and researching is fluid in nature. Trends have developed exhibiting new perspectives of and approaches to doing our jobs within ESP and what this means is that the status quo has changed, or is changing, beyond all recognition. These current trends surely, then, merit sharing with the wider ESP community.
In order to examine this issue further, and share new developments in our field, the ESPSIG’s PCE theme this year considers current trends in the field of ESP and the changes, opportunities and challenges it has undergone in the past few years, both within ESP in tertiary level education contexts, and in professional contexts. We welcome proposals in any area of ESP/EAP including, but not restricted to, the following:
· The challenges which changes in the employment market may bring about for ESP/EAP.
· The effect which EMI may have on ESP/EAP course design.
· The pedagogy of ESP/EAP (including teacher cognition, teacher burnout, teacher education and the diversity of responsibilities of teachers).
· Challenges posed by language specificity and subject knowledge for both teachers and learners.
· The spread of English as an international language/World Englishes and the effect of this on ESP/EAP.
· Cultural aspects of EAP/ESP courses.
· The application of linguistic research in ESP/EAP.
· ESP/EAP and the discourse community.
Format of the ESPSIG PCE
This event will be taking place in a hybrid format with all fully paid delegates receiving joining instructions nearer the time for both formats. The price to attend this event is the same, whether you are attending virtually or physically.
The format of the PCE day will comprise talks and workshops, as well as round table discussions based on each of these.
Participants will have the opportunity to interact and share their research throughout the event, which is reflected in the format. There will be a variety of outputs, and the following contributions are welcomed:
· Papers: 20 minutes + Q&A
· Workshops: 45 minutes
· Forum of 3 presenters: 15-minute presentation per person
Further details will be coming soon!
Please note that online booking closes on 6 April 2023 at 16.00 UK time.
To view the IATEFL event terms and conditions please click here
Event type:SIG Event
Date:17/04/2023 - 10:00 until 17/04/2023 - 17:00 UK time
Venue:Harrogate Convention Centre and Crowne Plaza Hotel
Standard fees: From 12 January 2023
IATEFL members: 73GBP
IATEFL members need to login to their member dashboard before registering for this event to receive the member discount.
Non-members wishing to register for this event must login to their IATEFL user account before registering for this event. If you don't already have a user account then create one by clicking 'Login' at the top left of the screen, then select “create new account”. This is free and is quick and easy to do. Once you have created a user account, return to this event and then select 'register' to complete your booking.