PronSIG: 'Equality and inclusion in pronunciation teaching: providing global representation'
An online conference presented by IATEFL Pronunciation Special Interest Group (Pronsig)
In the face of native-speakerism, accent prejudice and inequality, the act of pronunciation teaching can be a loaded issue, creating debates, and raising questions such as:
- How can we teach pronunciation in a more inclusive way and create a classroom in which all accents are valued and treated with respect?
- How can we promote equality and acceptance of diverse Englishes in a world in which accent reduction and prestige native speaker model content abound?
- How can we ensure that all of our students’ accents are equally represented as part of the global community of English speakers?
PronSIG Online Conference will feature 30-minute presentations and 5-minute posters focusing on (but not limited to) the following themes:
- attitudes to diverse accents in pronunciation teaching in various contexts
- encouraging acceptance of global Englishes in the classroom
- creating pronunciation materials using diverse accents/ELF perspectives
- overcoming accent or NNEST prejudice in the ELT world.
The online conference will take place on Zoom and to view the programme, please click below (please note sessions may be subject to change)
You are required to register for this event and on registration, the schedule and links to the rooms will be sent to you via email. Please check your inbox and any junk mail boxes for this registration confirmation email.
We look forward to you joining us online!
IATEFL members need to login before registering for this event in order to receive the member discount.
Non members wishing to register for this event must hold a user account with us. If you don't already have a user account then create one by clicking 'Login' at the top left of the screen, then select “create new account”. This is free and is quick and easy to do.
Event type:SIG Event
Date:04/10/2020 - 09:30 until 04/10/2020 - 18:20 UK time
What time is this in my location?
IATEFL member: 3.50GBP
IATEFL PronSIG member: Free
To get the discount, PronSIG members should login as an IATEFL member and use the discount code provided via email from the PronSIG committee.