About the A.S. Hornby Educational Trust
The chief objective of the A S Hornby Educational Trust is to promote the teaching and learning of English as a Foreign Language, especially by providing scholarships and grants. Since 1961, the Trust has supported the professional development of a significant number of teachers in the Global South via individual scholarships to study on MA programmes in the UK (the ‘Hornby Scholars’ scheme), regional workshops (‘Hornby Schools’) and via small-scale project funding to alumni and to Teacher Associations.
Background to the Scheme
The Hornby Teacher Association Project Award Scheme builds on the previous Hornby–IATEFL Associates Project Award programme, whereby, for a period of ten years, up to two Teacher Associations (associates of IATEFL) were granted funding each year for projects which stimulate and enhance the professional development of ELT practitioners in transitional countries via Teacher Association activity. Since 2018, 31 Teacher Association projects have been awarded up to £2,000 each, in 20 countries ranging from Argentina to Zambia. For 2022–23, the amount of funding available has once more been increased, with the consequence that 20 projects can be funded for up to £2,000 each.
The aims of the Hornby Teacher Association Project Scheme, now in its fourth year, are as follows:
With a view, particularly, to the enhancement of English teaching in public education systems in low- and middle-income countries, to:
- strengthen existing Teacher Associations (TAs), TA chapters and other English teacher groups or networks
- nurture the development of new TAs, TA chapters, English teacher groups or networks
- contribute to wider participation in TAs, TA chapters, English teacher groups or networks
- promote identification, nurturing and sharing of local expertise
- enhance a focus on stated needs of learners and teachers
- stimulate contextually appropriate thinking on ELT methodology, materials, assessment, etc.
- promote the development of previously marginalized or under-represented groups within TAs, TA chapters, English teacher groups or networks
How to submit a project proposal
The deadline for applications is October 15th 2022.