Organised by the Young Learners & Teenagers SIG
- Date and time: Friday 17 April 2020, 10.00-17.00
- Location: Manchester Art Gallery, Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3JL
- Cost for IATEFL members: Early bird rate: £57, Standard rate: £73 (price does not include lunch)
- Cost for non-members: Early bird rate £70, Standard rate: £86 (price does not include lunch)
The IATEFL Manchester 2020 Young Learners and Teenagers SIG Pre-Conference Event will explore children’s and teenagers’ multilingualism in ELT from a variety of sociolinguistic, cognitive and affective perspectives. The day-long event will unpack ways children and teenagers develop and manage their multiple languages, consider the benefits of multilingualism for ELT and identify classroom strategies to value children’s and teenagers’ linguistic repertoires. The 2020 PCE aims to help YL ELT professionals to move from a ‘monolingual’ to a ‘multilingual’ mindset by being inclusive of linguistic diversity in the YL classroom and ultimately, by celebrating the rich skills of multilingual children and teenagers.
We are thrilled to confirm the inspiring line up of speakers:
- Nayr Ibrahim’s opening plenary will set the scene by outlining key current issues in multilingualism in YL ELT
- Lijuan Shi’s keynote talk will share classroom-based examples of translanguaging in early years settings
- Hamish Chalmers’ keynote talk will explore ways children can create linguistic landscapes at primary school, particularly those learning in multilingual environments
- Constant Leung’s keynote talk will demonstrate how teenagers' languages are included (as well as to what extent) in order to access the curriculum in English as Additional Language (EAL) contexts
- Leketi Makalela’s closing plenary will provide delegates with a fascinating focus on translanguaging via a holistic lens to foster connection and solidarity (including the powerful concept of ‘ubuntu’)
Following the three keynote talks, we will have an open space format to provide an interactive opportunity for delegates to explore and reflect on the PCE contents in relation to their own YL ELT contexts.
Please note, this Pre-Conference Event will be taking place offsite at the Manchester Art Gallery. Delegates will need to register and collect their delegate badges from Manchester Central before making their way to the event.
Please note: If you don't have a user login then select 'login' and then 'create new account'. It's easy and free to do.