Organised by the Teacher Development SIG
- Date and time: Friday 17 April 2020, 10.00-17.00
- Location: Manchester Central, Windmill St, Manchester, M2 3GX, UK
- Cost for IATEFL members: Early bird rate: £57, Standard rate: £73 (price does not include lunch)
- Cost for non-members: Early bird rate £70, Standard rate: £86 (price does not include lunch)
Typically, when our profession thinks of development opportunities, we often default to certification courses, post-graduate programs, and conferences. Without question, these can be valuable modes for a teacher to develop professionally. However, they can have barriers to access that are out of our control. Additionally, these formalised approaches may leave participant contexts largely out of the equation or be organised from a more top-down perspective.
In this PCE, we seek to highlight the ‘underdog’ alternative forms of teacher development: those that utilise a localised approach to methodology, focus on teacher-driven needs, and create sustainable impact on curricula, attitudes, or practices.
Key questions we aim to address:
- What teacher-driven approaches to TD are our community doing already that provide accessible alternatives to formalised training?
- How do we create or adapt TD initiatives through a local lens?
- 08:00 Registration @ Manchester Central
- 09:30 Welcome coffee & snacks (INCLUDED in registration fee)
- 10:00 Welcome address
- 10:25 Talk 1
- 11:00 Talk 2
- 11:35 Morning break
- 11:45 Open space breakouts with Speakers 1 & 2
- 12:30 Lunch break (*NOT included in registration fee)
- 14:00 Talk 3
- 14:35 Talk 4
- 15:10 Afternoon snack break (INCLUDED in registration fee)
- 15:30 Open space breakouts with Speakers 3 & 4
- 16:15 Small group manifesto
- 16:45 Wrap-up and closing announcements
Please note: If you don't have a user login then select 'login' and then 'create new account'. It's easy and free to do.