The field of ESOL is growing exponentially as is the global human crisis of forced displacement and migration. ESOL teachers, many of whom are volunteers, are having to navigate the complexities of this crisis head on. Our PCE day will look at how we are training ESOL teachers, especially volunteer teachers, to ensure that they are equipped with the tools and techniques necessary to be able to address their learners’ multidimensional needs.
We will also examine the role that ESOL has in the field of English language teaching. Traditionally ESOL has been viewed as playing a minor part; however, with the increase in demand for ESOL classrooms, teachers, and relevant materials ESOL is now seen as having a significant role to play at the intersection of education, migration and integration policies. The need for pedagogies and materials that reflect the reality of learners’ lives is greater than ever.
The day will be a combination of examining policy issues and practical ideas for the classroom. Join us to look at how we can move ESOL forwards and make a difference both in terms of practice and policy.
- Advocate, counsellor, politician, teacher, coach? – the roles ESOL teachers play by Jeremy Harmer (Freelance author, New School MA TESOL faculty)
- ‘Our Languages’: working with sociolinguistics in multilingual participatory ESOL classes by Melanie Cooke, Becky Winstanely, and Dermot Bryers (Kings College London).
- Mindfulness for teachers and students by Rachael Roberts
- Teaching low-level ESOL learners – some practical (mobile) ideas by Jo Gakonga (Warwick University/ ELT-Training.com).
- No sh*t, Sherlock! Things the ELT profession could learn from ESOL by Steve Brown
- The must-have ESOL teaching toolkit by Philida Schellekens
IATEFL members need to login before registering for this event in order to receive the member discount.
Non members wishing to register for this event must hold a user account with us. If you don't already have a user account then create one by clicking 'Login' at the top left of the screen, then select “create new account”. This is free and is quick and easy to do.
Fee Details For Website